A deep understanding of users’ needs allows for great design and innovation. The station of being bus stop improves the waiting experience for travellers.
The bus stop intends to improve and enhance the waiting experience for people using public transport in cold weather conditions. The project can make public transport significantly more attractive. Based on what Rombout Frieling told Deezen, and the case study on the studio’s website, the research they carried out revealed that:
- It is annoying to continually be on the lookout to be sure not to miss the bus.
- People prefer to lean on something, rather than sitting when waiting for the bus in windy and snowy conditions. It can be as cold as –30º C with seats covered in snow.
- People prefer using cars because they feel the need to zone off and have privacy.
The Station of Being provides commuters with a smart and innovative waiting experience. It looks out for the buses arriving, using sounds and lights to signal their destinations. It features timber pods that people can lean on and rotate to shield from wind and snow. The pods allow for privacy if needed, and to relax after work. Or, as Rombout Frieling puts it, “travellers can have time to just being”.
A pleasant blend of traditional materials and innovative features, the prototype is the result of robust research into travellers’ needs. During the first couple of weeks after the opening, the studio observed a 35% increase in usage.
Enjoyed this article?
- Design, Digested 48 – Culture influences design, UX for older adults, bad use of AI
- Three articles I read last week and found either interesting and useful or worrying.
- Design, Digested 47 – Privacy, dreamhouses, the woman behind the author
- The illusion of privacy, Barbie dreamhouses, Eileen O’Shaughnessy, the benefits of desk research and more.
- Design, Digested 46 – The UX of Wise, alternatives to surveys, accessible numbers
- On this issue: How Wise compare against Revolut and Starling, the many ways to understand users, how to present numbers and data clearly.