Design inspiration series. Why Facebook can’t beat hate, a safe haven for press freedom, a game to recognise disinformation.
‘They don’t think it’s important’: Ellen Pao on why Facebook can’t beat hate
Ellen Pao talks about the lessons she learned and the mistakes she made while working to detoxify Reddit in 2014. She explains why it’s clear that Facebook doesn’t take content moderation seriously.
🔗 Read the article (on The Guardian)
The web was made for this moment — let’s make it safe, empowering for everyone
As it became clear during the past six months, the web is a lifeline, not a luxury. And yet, 3.5 billion people don’t have access. While it makes the case for it as a universal right, the following article explains that access to the internet needs to be meaningful.
🔗 Read the article (on World Wide Web Foundation)
RSF opens “The Uncensored Library” — The digital home of Press Freedom within a global computer game
Press freedom NGO Reporters Without Borders, in collaboration with design studio BlockWorks, built “The Uncensored Library” within Minecraft. The library, which is filled with books containing articles that were censored in their country of origin, is a safe haven for press freedom.
🔗 Read the article (on Reporters Without Borders)
Get Bad News
Take on the role of fake news-monger and build up your fake credibility as a news site in this game aimed at recognizing online disinformation. Find a junior version of the game in the Info & other languages section.
Global design competition to help fight Covid-19
From soap tattoos to self-cleaning lockers, professors and students around the world are trying to find ways to solve the novel problems we’re facing with the coronavirus.
🔗 Watch the video (on CNN)
Enjoyed this article?
Design, Digested is a newsletter about design, tech, and their implication in our lives. Subscribe.
- Week 9: Urquinaona
- Melting pots and mulled vine TV shows.
- Design, Digested 12 – Social media content moderation issues
- After a two-month hiatus, the design inspiration series is back with a focus on social media content moderation issues, how products get complicated and how a few companies are redesigning capitalism.
- Design, Digested 10 – Inclusive design
- On week number 10 of my design inspiration series, I share resources about inclusive design, problematic social media facts, and a great music project.