Three articles I read last week and found either interesting and useful or worrying.
Culture influences design
The explanation behind the loudness of the style of graphics of TV shows and websites in various cultures.
Culture conditions the way we see the world and has many dimensions. Bas Wallet championed femininity and masculinity to illustrate the different ways information is visually presented. Following this framework, Italy, the UK and US are masculine, while the Scandinavian countries are feminine.
UX for older adults
As populations around the world rapidly age, designing inclusive digital experiences for older adults has become an imperative for UX professionals.
Dr Maria Panagiotidi thoroughly explains the physical and cognitive changes that affect the digital experience of older adults. She provides practices to accomodate these changes, which unsurprisingly overlap with the WCAG design principles.
🔗 Read Designing digital products for older adults on Substack
Bad use of AI
Experts are worried that books produced by ChatGPT for sale on Amazon, which target beginner foragers, could end up killing someone.
I do not believe that artificial intelligence will steal our jobs. The skills and knowledge of experts will always be needed. As in the case of disinformation, we must be cautious and check the sources of the content we consume. AI is prone to errors, and the ones Samantha Cole writes about are very dangerous.
Enjoyed this article?
Design, Digested is a newsletter about design, tech, and their implication in our lives. Subscribe.
- Design, Digested 49 — Fake inclusion, bumpy rides, culture matters
- Three articles I read lately and found either interesting and useful or worrying.
- Design, Digested 47 — Privacy, dreamhouses, the woman behind the author
- The illusion of privacy, Barbie dreamhouses, Eileen O’Shaughnessy, the benefits of desk research and more.
- Design, Digested 46 — The UX of Wise, alternatives to surveys, accessible numbers
- On this issue: How Wise compare against Revolut and Starling, the many ways to understand users, how to present numbers and data clearly.